Mindelo, Aug 1 (Inforpress) – Sea turtle conservation campaign officials in São Vicente Island promise to start this Thursday, August 1, with the 2019 campaign, although funding is not yet available.
According to INDP’s campaign manager, Sandra Correia, the funding from the National Directorate of the Environment, in the amount of 400 thousand escudos, which is the bulk, “is guaranteed” but has not yet entered into the campaign bank account. “Even so we will start with the human resources and some debt effort and wait for the financing to come in the coming days,” said the same source, who explained that the 2019 campaign will run until mid-September with night patrols and, from the end from September onwards, with nest monitoring.
Although the “big challenge” of the campaign this year is transportation to travel to the city’s furthest beaches, despite, as Sandra Correia pointed out, the support of the military, the National Police and individuals, the goal is the hope of “many more turtles and less hunting than last year,” she said.
During the official launch of the 2019 campaign, which took place today at the National Institute for Fisheries Development (INDP), it was up to the campaign coordinator of the Ponta d’Pom Sports, Recreational, Cultural, Social and Environmental Association, Nelson Lopes, to disclose the results of last year’s sea turtle conservation campaign in São Vicente.